PlacesSkip to the content

Ben White Raceway

Information on Ben White Raceway from the UCF Library:

Ben White Raceway was the largest training facility and winter home for champion racehorses. Located in Fairview Park, a 120-acre tract about 3 miles from downtown Orlando, the raceway was owned and maintained by the City of Orlando. The track was named in honor of one of the nation’s most famous trainers, Ben White, who won numerous titles and chose Orlando as a training site in 1920. As a result of White’s international reputation, the track became known as “the colt capital of harness racing”.

Ben White Raceway, however, lost popularity as it proved to be too expensive to ship horses to Orlando. In July 2001, the name was changed to Trotters Park at the request of Ben White’s family because the track no longer had anything to do with harness racing. By January 10, 2002, the City of Orlando decided to close the already struggling facility and use the property for a city park.

According to the 1963 R. L. Polk’s Orlando and Winter Park Directory, the Ben White Raceway was located at 1805 Lee Road. John E. Long is listed as the blacksmith. Adjacent to the raceway at 1820 Lee Road was James R. Stockman Harness Shop.

The 1971 Directory lists all the horses, stables and owners with additional information.

Back to top
TAGS: , , , , ,

Ben White Raceway Aerial View circa 1963
No description has been added yet
Ben White Raceway Directory 1971
Front cover of the 1971 Directory for Ben White Raceway.
There are currently no audio related to this memory.
There are currently no video related to this memory.
There are currently no links related to this memory.
Ben White Raceway 1971 Directory
No description has been added yet

Leave a Comment