Florida’s Old Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Home opened in Jacksonville in April 1893 and was dedicated on April 6, 1893.
The Home was first financed and maintained by the United Confederate Veterans, Sons of Confederate Veterans and Martha Reid Chapter No. 19 United Daughters of the Confederacy. In the years between 1893 and 1938 the number of veterans in the Home ranged from as few as three to as many as forty-seven.
Florida’s Confederate home remained in operation until 1938, when the last veteran died. In its final years of operation, organizations such as the United Daughters of the Confederacy played a significant role in caring for the veterans.
When the property was sold, the State Commander of the United Confederate Veterans transferred funds to the State of Florida for the establishment of an endowment fund to be used for scholarships at the Florida State College for Women (FSU) and the University of Florida.
The attached document is an information booklet about the Civil War Veterans featuring advertisements from Orlando businesses: W. H. Mouser & Company, Peninsular Chemical Company, Gentile Brothers Company, Orlando Steam Laundry, Russ Mattress Company, San Juan Hotel, Merita Bread – American Bakeries Company, Pickett Lumber Company.
1927 Old Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Home Information Booklet includes brief bios on each of the current residents show in the group photo found attached to this topic and Matron, Mrs. C. M. Kenney; Trustee Rev. L. W. Kickliter; President Board of Trustees, General J. H. Harp; Secretary and Superintendent, C. M. Kenney; Vice President Board of Trustees, General T. J. Appleyard;
The bios include: J. C. Buford, William Budd, L. P. Foy, Joseph F. Greene, John C. Hines, Thomas Hodges, H. A. Lashley, Wm. F. Mobley, T. D. Rich, J. R. Savage, James C. Smythe, S. L. Swindall, W. T. Wooten, W. D. Yeager
The booklet includes advertisement from a number of Orlando businesses.